Monday, September 19, 2011

Sky Diver Fair Ride 09.17.11

On Saturday my mom and I went to the Puyallup Fair, a Western Washington staple. We had scones, the signature fair food, and rode the Sky Ride for the first time. Then we did my favorite fair activity, looking at the photographs. I have always loved looking, but this year I saw everything through a new perspective. I wondered what aperture they used, if they used a tripod, if they shot manual, what the photos would have looked like cropped a little tighter. I had a new appreciation for how the moments were captured and I was awed by so many images. This was also the first year I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could enter a photo of my own next year. In the past I never thought I was good enough, but what I am beginning to realize through this journey and connecting with other photographers is that the beauty of an image is not necessarily directly related to how much technical knowledge you have. It is so much more than that. 

This photo was taken after riding the Sky Ride, which gives you an aerial view of the fair. It is of a Sky Diver ride that I was drawn to because of the purple lights. It was just beginning to rain and the sky was a bland gray. In post processing I wanted to give some interest to the sky so I played with the basic settings and then ran Pioneer Woman's Fresh and Colorful, Lovely and Ethereal and Boost actions. I would love some thoughts on how it turned out or suggestions on how to add interest to the sky in another way. Thank you for stopping by and for teaching me so much about photography!

Come by tomorrow for the Tones on Tuesday first ever link up!

Settings: ISO 200, 39mm, ss1/80, f/6.3
"If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun." - Katharine Hepburn

Linking up with The Creative Exchange. Be sure to take a look at the other fabulous photos!

5 comments:

  1. What a great photo! I remember the Puyallup Fair. When I was living in Vancouver we'd make a trip down to the fair. Brings back lots of great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great shot Emily, and one of my favorite fair rides!

    Thank you so much for sharing this at The Creative Exchange.

    Have a wonderful day!

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot! Definitely bright and colorful. Love how you are seeing things completely differently now while checking others' photos. Funny how that happens, the more you learn. And I couldn't agree more... it is not all about the technical knowledge you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have learned so much from lisa and all the blogs i follow. i too have a new perspective.

    i love your shot and katharine hepburn...a very wise woman!!

    thanks for stopping my my blog and leaving such a sweet comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright, colorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.