Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I Learned: Sunbursts at Fort Ward 09.10.11

Another photography first for me this weekend was capturing sunbursts. During an exploration of Fort Ward Park on Baingbridge Island, I saw the sunburst through the trees and I attempted to capture it. It did not work out and I was discouraged. Before giving up completely though, I decided to do a quick search on my phone and found a blog, that I can't remember the name of, where the suggestion was a high aperture and patience. With these both in place I was able to transfer the beauty of the sunburst from in person to my memory card :o). I went a little crazy taking them after that, but I was very excited that I had added a new skill to my photography arsenal.

My goal was to capture the sunburst and the sun on the water. In post processing, I adjusted most of the basic settings and used a graduated filter on the sky. This was only my third or fourth time with the graduated filter and I am not sure how it worked out. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you for stopping by!

Settings: ISO 100, 41mm, ss1/100, f/22 (full manual)
"The earth has received the embrace of the sun and we shall see the results of that love." - Sitting Bull

Linking up with I Learned at Click it Up a Notch. Be sure to see what everyone else has learned this week! 
Click It Up A Notch

7 comments:

  1. Wow Emily, awesome starburst, love the star within it and the little ones in the water. Well done learning in the field! :-)
    Gorgeous photo too, love the framing with the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful photograph! I have been trying so hard to capture sunburst but I can never seem to do it. After reading this I realize that my aperture wasn't high enough. You have inspired me to get out there and try again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from "I learned". Beautiful capture. Looks to me that you have an affinity for capturing sunbursts and flares.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you go with the starbursts!! I remember becoming OBSESSED once I figured out how to do them :O) You did a great job and glad you were able to find out that the aperture should be around f22. Yay! Love the reflection on the water as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW....i have so much trouble with manual focus. i must try harder, i use my nikon like a point and shoot!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.